COLLEGE STATION, T.X.— The National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service will hold two hearings on March 28, 2019, on national service at the Bush School of Government and Public Service at Texas A&M University. The first hearing will explore ways to improve current national service policies and processes, ensuring access to, awareness of, and aspiration for national service. The second hearing will explore how to create more national service opportunities, including requirements for new sources of funding, new program models, systems, infrastructures, and/or partnerships.
President George H.W. Bush lived his life in service to others and as a strong leader who believed service could unite Americans. He was a champion of national service and with that in mind, it is an honor for the Commission to partner with the Bush School of Government and Public Service to host these two hearings on national service.
The Commission will hold 14 hearings between February and June 2019. Each hearing will provide an opportunity for the Commission to learn from policy experts on key topics within the Commission’s mandate. Members of the public will also have an opportunity to provide comments at each hearing following the conclusion of testimony.
The National Commission on Military, National and Public Service is an 11-member bipartisan commission tasked for the first time in American history, with comprehensively and holistically reviewing the Selective Service System, along with military, national, and public service. The Commission hopes to ignite a national conversation about ideas of service as it develops recommendations for the Congress, the President, and the American public by March 2020. The Commission invites the public to share comments on its website and join the digital conversation on service on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Thursday, March 28, 2019
WHO: The National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. National Service Hearing: Improving Current National Service Policies and Processes
- Michelle K. Brooks, Chief of Staff, Peace Corps
- Chris Bugbee, Chief Operating Officer, OneStar Foundation
- AnnMaura Connolly, President for Voices for National Service and Chief Strategy Officer and Executive Vice President of City Year, Inc.
- Pierre Nguyen, Disaster Response Programs Manager, Texas Conservation Corps of American YouthWorks
- Barbara Stewart, CEO, Corporation for National and Community Service
1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. National Service Hearing: Creating More National Service Opportunities
- Kaira Esgate, CEO, America’s Service Commissions
- Brian Larkin, Program Officer of Flint, Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
- Natalye Paquin, Esq., President and CEO, Points of Light
- Shirley Sagawa, CEO and Founder, Service Year Alliance
- Jaime Ernesto Uzeta, CEO, Public Allies
WHERE: Texas A&M | Annenberg Presidential Conference Center | The Hagler Auditorium | 1002 George Bush Drive West | College Station, TX 77843
RSVP with name, position (reporter, camera, photographer, etc.), media outlet, email, and phone to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Throw: 50 feet
SAT Truck/Live feed: For interest, please send request as soon as possible.
Note: There will be public wi-fi available.