The Commission will host fourteen public hearings on policy options it is considering for its final report. Through each hearing, Commissioners will gain insights from panelists as they develop recommendations for their final report to Congress, the President, and the American people in March 2020.
On April 25, 2019, the Commission will host Should Registration be Expanded to All Americans? – Arguments for Expansion. This hearing will address the potential needs for a voluntary or compulsory mobilization for all Americans.
Date: Thursday, April 25, 2019
Time: 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Location: Gallaudet University, Peikoff Alumni House, 800 Florida Ave NE, Washington, DC 20002
- Opening remarks
- Testimony from Panelists
- Panelist Questioning by Commissioners
- Public Comments
- Closing Remarks
The Commission and Commission staff request feedback from the public on the ideas presented in STAFF MEMORANDUM: Expanding Selective Service Registration to All Americans. You can read the memorandum here and share your feedback here.
- Lieutenant General Flora Darpino, U.S. Army, Retired, former Judge Advocate General of the U.S. Army
- Dr. Jason Dempsey, Senior Advisor at the Columbia University School of Professional Studies and Adjunct Senior Fellow of the Military, Veterans, and Society Program at the Center for a New American Security
- Professor Jill Hasday, Distinguished McKnight University Professor & Centennial Professor in Law, University of Minnesota
- Major General Bengt Svensson, Defense Attaché, Embassy of Sweden
- Ms. Katey van Dam, U.S. Marine Corps combat veteran currently working in venture capital
The public is invited to provide comment at each hearing following the conclusion of testimony. In order to accommodate as many public comments as possible, individuals will have two minutes to relate their comment to the Commission. If you are interested in providing a public comment during the hearing, please arrive no later than 1:00 p.m. to receive a ticket. The Commission will select tickets at random. If your ticket is drawn, you may provide your comment to the Commissioners during the public comment period. If you’re unable to attend the public hearing or have to leave early, you can submit your comment here, email it to , or mail it to 2530 Crystal Drive, Suite 1000, Box #63, Arlington, Virginia 22202.