The National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service was created by Congress to consider and develop recommendations concerning the need for a military draft, and means by which to foster a greater attitude and ethos of service among American youth. Established on September 19, 2017, the Commission intends to issue its final report no later than March 2020 and conclude its work by September 2020.
Evidenced by Statute and Principles issued by the President, the Commission's mission is to listen to the public and learn from those who serve to recommend ideas to foster a greater ethos of military, national, and public service to strengthen American democracy. The Commission hopes to ignite a national conversation around service and, ultimately, develop recommendations that will encourage every American to be inspired and eager to serve.
The Commission is comprised of eleven commissioners who bring together diverse experiences from service in the military, public office, on Capitol Hill, and with not-for-profit organizations.
Members of the Commission are:
- The Honorable Dr. Joseph Heck, Commission Chairman, former Member of the House of Representatives (NV-3)
- The Honorable Mark Gearan, Vice Chair for National and Public Service, former Director of the Peace Corps
- The Honorable Debra Wada, Vice Chair for Military Service, former Assistant Secretary of the Army for Manpower and Reserve Affairs
- Mr. Edward Allard III, former Deputy Director of the Selective Service System
- Mr. Steve Barney, former General Counsel to the Senate Armed Service Committee
- The Honorable Dr. Janine Davidson, former Under Secretary of the Navy
- Ms. Avril Haines, former Principal Deputy National Security Advisor
- Ms. Jeanette James, former Professional Staff Member of the House Armed Services Committee
- Mr. Alan Khazei, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Be the Change, Inc.
- Mr. Thomas Kilgannon, President of Freedom Alliance
- Ms. Shawn Skelly, former Director, Executive Secretariat, U.S. Department of Transportation